Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Are you intending to refresh the wheels or a full restoration?
I had mine blasted, hot zinc sprayed and then powder coated in RAL 7044.
If a refresh, many automotive paint suppliers can make an aerosol of 7044.
One way to mask the tyre is to use playing cards. Poke the cards between the tyre and rim, overlapping the cards.I don’t think I’d live long enough to restore that one.
From Citroen Classics, they use and recommend RAL 7044.
All a bit academic if you have full size wheel trims as only about 10mm is visible.
Don’t do what I did. I took the wheel into Been and Queued, had paint made. They looked ok until I drove the car. Each wheel had a starburst of paint across the tyre.Why do they bother making repair panels that almost, but not quite, fit?
It took three sessions to fit the inner door skin, or about 7 hours.
I used a large copper bar behind the welds to try to stop distortion.
On the left front door I had to use the corner repair sections. They definitely don’t fit without a fair bit of hammer work.
Both corners are on.
Before the skin goes on, I’ll clean and epoxy prime the insides of the door. The inner skin will get a couple of coats where the stainless steel rubber mounting strip is riveted on.
Before the skin edge is folded over, I give the edges a coat of epoxy and fold whilst wet.
I hope this will seal the edge and add rigidity.
By the time I’ve done the fourth door, I will be quite proficient and hope to never do another one.The right hand driver’s door developed ‘oil canning’ after welding. At the rear end of the door, the outer panel would pop in and pop out. This is caused by the metal stretching.
I watched plenty of YouTube videos on the subject and an interminable load of adverts.
Essentially you push up on the area from inside with a dolly and using glancing blows with a hammer, massage the area outside of the tin can towards the centre. This hopefully pushes the metal towards the tin can.
This is done ‘off dolly’. If you hit the dolly through the metal, it stretches it.
With my 20 minutes of experience, once it stopped tin canning, I called it a day and broke out the filler.Next time I’ll use my folding panel stand rather than the Workmate. I’ll also let each plug weld cool before doing the next.
How are you getting on with the roof?
I’ve spent too many hours using polystrip discs in the angle grinder removing paint from two doors.
Two doors and four wings are going for pyrolytic paint stripping. In an oven and burn the paint and filler off.
Next week’s job is to strip the doors and wings of anything combustible. Then off to Welwyn Garden City.
Or I could just build a bonfire.Tempting.
For information. I’ve shown a Cleco pin ready to insert into the hole through two panels. The two prongs are fully extended. Once in the hole, the spring pressure pulls the two prongs back. The stationary central part opens up the prongs and the two pips grip the inner panel, pulling it tight against the outer panel.
Hole size on the inner panel is critical. My pins are 1/8″. I used a 3mm drill as the hole will always be bigger.
The hole on the outer panel can be bigger, this allows for adjustment.
The 8mm holes are for plug welding, I got a bit carried away.I’m not going to bother with the token rubber finishing strip. Masking tape and a sealant tool (or a wet finger) seems easier.
For the bolt heads buy yourself an angle grinder or two (Lidl, keep the receipt, 3 year guarantee) and safety glasses. Then use a grinding disc followed by a flap disc.
Hello, if you look at the doors thread, the first two pictures show my roof channel. It is naked. Once it has the inner finishing rubber strip and the outer trim it will look like Paul’s picture.
Don’t forget that image includes the door trim, the interior rubber and so on.
Can you upload a picture to imgbb.com then copy and paste the bb fully linked shortcut into this thread.
Has your roof channel just disintegrated? It is a habit of the DS.More door stuff. Front right this time. I will cut out the bottom corner edges and weld in steel from the old door skin.
The corners are a pain as they spot welded them, plus brazed at the swage line.
Penetration of the plug welds looks good.
The wood formers are an attempt at getting the correct curve without resorting to a load of filler.The roof on a Safari is steel. I want to add heat insulation but if headlining is stuck to that, it will look horrible. I have a plan, certainly involving ambition versus ability.
I haven’t reached fitting the roof yet. As usual I’m going off piste with the headlining, all will be revealed. Unless it goes wrong.
The Safari roof is bolted on. I expect I’ll use black windscreen sealant as it is flexible and doesn’t fade. I’ll 3D print some spacers then fill the gaps with sealant.
The finishing strip in aluminium isn’t available for the Safari. I’m hoping to bend some from 0.2mm strip.
Doors, wings, tailgate and bonnet first. -
AuthorPosts










