John Montgomery

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Building up thin metal #10840

    Exactly the same, Paul sent me photos. Very pleased 👍

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10837

    I’m pleased to report that American Paul has sent me two brackets with apparently minimal rust on, so that’s a great way forward. Thanks for your help.

    in reply to: Maybe not quite two years to go #10836

    Hope you went full American and linked a ‘bing, bing, bing’ alarm into it 😉

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10828

    Email sent, we’ll see what comes back.

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10827

    That’s great Paul, I can see four or five candidates there. I’ll email tomorrow. Thanks again 👍

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10814

    Peter – they’re plain chassis black so that should hide a few minor sins.

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10813

    That’s great Paul, they’re the two red ‘Lucas with screws’, I have new lights as they’re also used on several British cars of the same era (Lucas L692 & L467). If any of your contacts happen to have good plates then I would be interested. The visible part is the opposite side of what you can see in the photos so I should be able to reinforce one side and flatten the other side using epoxy as per your / Peter’s guidance. Thanks again 👍

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10809

    This is one of the offending items. You can see the sharpness of the edge, you can also just about see the upward slope at one end where there’s a bend in the backplate but the edge is straight.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2

    in reply to: Building up thin metal #10805

    Thanks Paul, I’ll take a photo later but for now I’ll explain a bit more. Imagine a thin pressing with complex curvature and a variety of holes which is generally wasted. The pressing is visible from outside the car. I know galvanising can add significant thickness and similarly hot metal / thermal spraying may be an option but wondered if there were any other alternatives. If the pressings weren’t visible then I would do exactly what you say. An alternative would be to make sections of the correct profile then plug them in to cover the whole face but this would take a large amount of time and skill – if there’s an easier option then that would be preferred. I know some people have converted their cars to the later lights but I like the ones it has!

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)