John Montgomery

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: RHD brake pipe query #13214

    Thanks as always Paul, yes that’s the assembly. The large pipe is the lowest one in your photo. I’m still gathering parts for mine in the hope that one day I will retire with enough life left in me to restore it. The pipes on mine are past their best, I saw a set on eBay but they’re all the same size – no large pipe.
    So I contacted the chap, he bought them for his car but ended up getting the correct ones from Australia. His car is a ’67 manual with no power steering, mine’s a 67 BVH with power steering. I can only think it’s a later car thing.
    I’m not really up to tracing pipework at present (lifting the bonnet was enough for me!) so can’t help there, sorry.
    I can’t imagine many people will have this pipework and I also can’t imagine it’s easy to re-pipe one of the flange plates!

    in reply to: Festival? Bestival #13203

    Sorry, no, health still playing me up. Hope it goes well though.

    in reply to: Piston & Liner Replacement Shortcut ? #13083

    Oh, and don’t bother trying to reuse the liner as it is. It’s probably bore wear that caused the rings to break in the first place.

    in reply to: Piston & Liner Replacement Shortcut ? #13082

    Peter will be along soon with his liner removal advice, I’ve seen it on another thread. You might not like it 🤣

    in reply to: Hello from Wiltshire #13027

    Not sure I got the last post right, try this one:

    in reply to: Hello from Wiltshire #13026

    I was partly right, it was just the lower sections with the cutouts for the jacking points:
    https://i.ibb.co/vC2HyWB6/20260617-145725-2.jpg

    in reply to: Hello from Wiltshire #13021

    IIRC the sill outer plates were plain on earlier cars but were changed for square patterned ones on later cars. Mine are plain and mine’s a 1969 UK car. I think the information about it is in the John Reynolds book somewhere, if I remember later I’ll have a look.

    in reply to: Front/Rear Loudspeaker fader control #12969

    Dennis mentioned a bellhousing modification so may be mounting either the compressor or alternator somewhere down there. He was quite cagey though.

    in reply to: Front/Rear Loudspeaker fader control #12967

    Was speaking to Dennis from Centreville a while back, he said he was designing an AC kit for the DS and it was near completion for commercial release. Haven’t heard anything since though.

    in reply to: Crusty #12183

    It’s calibrated. If you need more off the middle you use it ‘as is’. More off the ends? Turn it round. Sorted 😁

    in reply to: Crusty #12169

    So, as this thread is about rusty doors; what’s the general consensus for someone whose car has crusty doors; repair / reskin or get pattern parts?

    in reply to: Door interior parts #12148

    Haven’t used them but a firm like this could be useful: https://absolutereflections.co.uk/

    in reply to: Struck gold #12141

    You could go proper bodge – weld a small M5 stud to the slipper in the right place, put a nut on, grind them both flat at the top then paint it.

    Peter does brute force, I just bodge 🤣

    in reply to: Struck gold #12139

    I’m sure it’s possible but you have to ask whether it’s commercially viable, given how few people will ever change this panel? I think it’s fair to say most people will let sections in, like you did. As we’ve both noted, it’s a pig to change (even removing one from my scrap front end is an ordeal).

    in reply to: Struck gold #12131

    The photo is deceptive, there is a plate over the top of the aperture in the scuttle, the bracket is spotted on to the underside of the plate with very convincing spot welds.
    It can only be a stiffening plate, taking the load path further away from the handbrake lever.
    As for why?
    Possible hypotheses are:-
    more force being put through the lever due to people who are right-handed, or
    more force going through the structure due to the wiper motor being that side, or
    finding distortion/cracking in that area on the early cars necessitating reinforcement.
    Good luck Mr Holmes!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)